How you spend your time is how you spend your life. If you are wasting time, you are wasting opportunities. If you are saving time, you are saving yourself a lot of stress and trouble down the road. Whatever you think of it, it’s entirely up to you to make the most out of your time.
However, under certain specific circumstances time may seem to be ticking away faster than usual and there is nothing you can do to control it, slow it down, or turn it back. Moving house is among these trying circumstances that put your time-handling skills to the test and take you on a challenging race against the clock. This is so because every single aspect of the arduous moving process requires plenty of time and effort. And indeed, it’s very difficult to find enough time to properly prepare for the big change, to plan all the little details of the imminent relocation, to complete all the moving-related tasks, and to say a fitting goodbye to all the close friends and favorite places you are going to leave behind.
To successfully cope with it all, you need to find a way to reduce the time it takes to organize and execute your move. Here are some efficient time saving tips for moving that will help you get everything ready in time for a smooth and hassle-free relocation.
Create a customized moving timeline
A detailed moving timeline will help you organize and prioritize the tasks you need to take care of in the time left until moving day, as well as to define an appropriate timeframe for every single chore. You will be able to deal with each of them in a quick and efficient manner, to keep track of your progress, and to take immediate measures if you notice that you are falling behind schedule. Your customized moving checklist will help you optimize your time and avoid last-minute headaches. Just give yourself a good head start and get down to work as soon as possible (preferably, 60 days ahead of moving day).
Bonus advice: Use reminders on your phone to make sure you will not forget about important appointments, pre-scheduled meetings, or other urgent moving-related tasks planned for the day.
Take advantage of modern technology
You can save a lot of time on your moving preparations with the help of modern technology – just get online and gather all the information you need with several clicks of the mouse:
- read a city guide for your future place of residence;
- download a detailed map of your new area;
- contact local authorities and request any relevant data;
- join local forums to get an idea of the community events and hot social issues in your new city, as well as to ask for advice, recommendations, and warnings;
- use Google street view to take a look at the different neighborhoods in the city and find an appropriate location for your new home (or even your new home!);
- contact real estate agents in your new city and discuss your housing options;
- read moving reviews, research moving companies, and get a moving quote to find the best movers for you;
- use state-of-the-art moving apps to easily organize and plan every aspect of your relocation.
Create a floor plan of your new home
Making a floor plan of your new place will not only help you decide which of your old household items are worth taking with you, but will also speed up the entire moving process – your belongings will be taken directly to their rightful places so that you won’t waste time and effort reshuffling large furniture and appliances or moving heavy boxes from one room to the next.
Bonus advice: Make sure your new home is ready to be occupied when you arrive – any desired repair works and renovation projects should be over before move-in day, the premises should be spotless, and the utilities – running. Have in mind that it is much easier and more efficient to upgrade and clean your new place while it is still empty. If you fail to take care of this task in advance, you will lose a lot of valuable time dealing with it after you have moved in (not to mention all the inconveniences involved).
Sort out and pare down your possessions
The fewer items you relocate, the less time you will need packing them. So, you are strongly advised to declutter your home and sell, donate, or discard anything you won’t be able to use in your new surroundings (or just don’t like anymore). Use the opportunity to organize all your belongings in a meaningful and systematic manner, so that you don’t lose precious time rummaging around whenever you need a certain item.
Bonus advice: Creating an inventory of your possessions is a must!
Hire experienced and trustworthy movers
Besides the other advantages of using professional moving services (safety, efficiency, peace of mind, etc.), hiring experienced movers to help you relocate has one more considerable bonus – great speed. The moving experts have the appropriate equipment and the required know-how to perform each and every relocation task in the quickest and safest manner possible. All the aspects of the relocation process will be miraculously taken care of by the professionals, leaving you the time to focus on other important things. Performing a DIY move, on the other hand, will require an enormous amount of time and effort on your part.
Bonus advice: Be careful to avoid moving scams and to work only with legitimate and reliable movers!
Take care of the paperwork in time
Have in mind that putting all the required paperwork in order may take a lot of time (especially if you are moving abroad). Start collecting and sorting out all the necessary documents early enough to make sure that everything will be ready in time:
- collect and organize your personal documents – passports, birth and marriage certificates, driver’s licenses, credit cards, professional certificates, etc.;
- double-check and put aside all the moving related paperwork;
- retrieve medical and school records;
- get letters of recommendations and other references that might be useful in the future;
- change your address;
- transfer your bank account;
- pay your current bills and transfer the utilities;
- cancel subscriptions;
- purchase additional insurance (if deemed necessary), and so on.
Bonus advice: Keep your documents safe (so that you prevent damage, loss, or theft) and well organized (so that you can find quickly whatever you may need) throughout the entire moving process.
Without a doubt, packing is the most time-consuming of all moving-related tasks. So, if you find a way to pack quickly, you will considerably reduce the overall time required for preparing and executing your move. In order to pack your house quickly and efficiently, you need to:
- have a sufficient amount of appropriate packing materials (so that you can start packing early enough and don’t waste time running to the store for extra packing supplies at the last moment);
- know what to pack when (so that you don’t waste time opening already sealed boxes for an item you need);
- know what not to pack (so that you don’t have to repack);
- follow the golden rules of packing (so that you avoid nerve-racking and time-consuming packing mistakes);
- label the boxes the right way (to save time when unpacking).
SEE ALSO: How to pack for a move quickly
Prepare a survival kit
Having everything necessary at hand on Moving day will save you a lot of time and nerves digging through boxes in search of a specific item you desperately need at that very moment. So, make sure you put aside all the essentials that can literally “save the day” on move-out or move-in day (toiletries, medications, snacks, important documents, basic tools, cleaning supplies, etc.) and pack them in a separate bag or box that will be easily accessible at any time.
SEE ALSO: What to pack in an open-first box
Be well prepared for moving day
To save time on Moving day, get your home and your items ready for the movers:
- Empty, unplug, and clean any electrical appliances beforehand;
- Empty large furniture pieces (wardrobes, cupboards) and disassemble as many items as possible;
- Make every effort to prevent property damage;
- Clear obstacles along the way;
- Ensure the safety of pets and kids;
- Take adequate precautions to prevent accidents and injuries.
SEE ALSO: How to prepare for moving day
Know what to do after the move
In order to close the relocation chapter of your life and resume your normal daily routine as soon as possible, you need to unpack your items and organize your new home quickly after the move. The following useful tips will help you save time after the relocation:
Good time management is essential for the success of your move. To save time when moving you need to complete every single relocation task in the most efficient manner possible – the several extra minutes you gain will quickly add up to hours or even to days!