Careful planning is the key to success for every difficult and time-consuming task, but it is of ultimate importance when it comes to relocation. Having enough time to analyze your options, to research the possibilities, choose the best offer, pack carefully and monitor your move to the last detail is crucial for a smooth and satisfactory experience. A short notice move, on the other hand, is one of the most stressful situations you could possibly get into. Time is a powerful enemy and you will need a good strategy to defeat it. To stand a chance for a problem-free relocation, you will have to stay focused, organized and effective.
Do not allow panic to seize you!
Whether the reason for your last minute move is a new job in another city, or problems extending your lease on the apartment, or abrupt change in your finances or life, just accept the news and handle the situation to the best of your abilities. Panic decisions will only cause further headaches, so remain calm and get to work immediately.
Analyze your options
Determine your moving budget and get a correct idea of what you can accomplish in the time left, as well as how many friends or relatives will be able and willing to help you.
If you have enough money, hiring a respectable moving company will save you a lot of troubles. Professionals will take care of the entire moving process with enviable speed, great skills and reliability. You will have time to arrange other imminent tasks while your household belongings are safely packed, transported and unloaded at your new address. Just make sure to contact several properly licensed movers, compare their rates and conditions and choose the one that suits your needs best.
If it is going to be a local move and you do not possess too many bulky and fragile items, you can try to organize the relocation yourself. It is a time-consuming and tedious task, but you can save money and get things done your way, especially of you have previous experience and reliable assistants
Get well organized
- Create a moving calendar with specific goals and make sure to prioritize the tasks according to their significance and difficulty;
- Declutter your home – make a detailed inventory of your possessions and sell or donate the unnecessary items to avoid losing time and money on stuff which has no sentimental value and you will no longer use;
- Pack your belongings in a quick and efficient manner. Provide adequate packing supplies and label the boxes. Use plenty of wrapping materials to ensure your items are well protected and will reach the final destination intact;
- Remember to have all your documents and valuables with you all the time;
- Avoid common moving mistakes by preparing well and staying alert throughout the entire process.
Whatever happens, keep your cool and be flexible. Your emergency move will certainly have a happy ending!