It is your comfortable shoes that help you walk the path of life, right? After all, who will dare to take the road less traveled by or to successfully find their way through whatever thorny problems fate has in store, without a reliable pair of sturdy and comfortable shoes? So if you are about to embark on a moving journey to a new home and a new life, you’d better take proper care of your trustworthy footwear. You need to know the best way to pack shoes when moving in order to preserve their good condition and to be able to use them much longer.
How to sort your shoes?
Sorting your footwear properly will save you time and nerves when actually packing and moving your shoes to your new home.
- Explore your shoe collection. You will probably find some much worn out pairs or damaged ones which will be of no further use to you. Get rid of them before the move to save both space and time during the packing process. Put aside all the shoes that are in good condition but you just don’t like any more or will never be able to use again. Those could be high-heeled shoes that are just killing your feet, or formal shoes you will simply not have the occasion to put on again, or shoes that are not appropriate for the climatic conditions in your new place, or smaller shoes that your kids have already outgrown, or just anything that has gone out of fashion and out of need. You can donate such footwear to charity or to friends, or you may even try to sell the pairs you have hardly ever put on;
- Sort according to the season and to your needs. If you are moving in mid-winter you can just pack all your sandals and flip-flops, stiletto shoes and straw shoes, etc. in advance (or all your boots if your move takes place in the summer, of course). You can also pack beforehand specialty shoes you will not need prior to your move, such as any formal shoes or dancing or hiking shoes if you are not planning to undertake the corresponding activities before Moving day.
- Put aside your footwear for Moving day. You will need a sturdy and comfortable pair of shoes with non-slippery soles that will protect your feet when moving all your possessions out of your old property and transporting them to your future home. Also, pack separately whatever you will need on the first day or two in your new place – shower shoes, slippers, a comfortable pair to wear when unpacking, arranging or shopping.
How to prepare shoes for packing?
- Clean your shoes thoroughly. Your shoes must be clean and completely dry before packing. Any remaining dirt may harm your more delicate footwear and moisture can result in mold growth or deformation, ruining the shoes beyond repair;
- Stuff your shoes full. Use socks and/or clean paper (newsprint can leave stain!) to stuff your shoes well. This will help preserve their shape and will prevent crushing;
- Prepare adequate boxes. If you keep the original boxes your shoes came in – use them for best protection. If not, search for small or medium-sized clean and sturdy boxes.
How to pack shoes for shipping?
Always pack shoes in pairs to avoid losing precious time in a treasure hunt for the missing shoe. It is best to pack each pair of shoes separately, in its original box or in one of similar size. If you don’t have enough small boxes or need to save some space, you can pack several pairs in one larger box but you need to be extra careful:
- Always place the heavier shoes on the bottom;
- Wrap each pair in clean paper – place one of the shoes at the end of a sheet of packing paper, wrap it twice, then add the second shoe and continue wrapping until the sheet ends and you have a bundle of well-preserved shoes. This will prevent scuffing and denting your shoes;
- Alternate the directions of your shoes when wrapping and placing them in a box to save space;
- Provide protective layers of packing paper, cotton towels or any other soft and clean materials between the packed shoes;
- Fill any empty space in the box with crumpled paper, socks or whatever adequate padding materials you can find, to avoid shifting inside the box and crushing the shoes;
- Never press or smash the shoes or you risk distorting their form and even damaging them badly;
- Secure the boxes with packing tape and never place heavy items over boxes of shoes when loading the moving truck;
- Make sure that none of the boxes is overloaded because it will become heavy and difficult to carry – it may as well break, inflicting damage to your shoes;
- Label each box carefully to know where to look for the shoes you need at the moment when unpacking.
You are not recommended to pack shoes in bags because of the little protection they provide. Bags tear very easily and your shoes may get scratched and damaged. Remember that the risk of crushing your footwear when packed in bags increases drastically.
These practical tips for packing shoes when moving will certainly help you take proper care of your footwear and preserve it in perfect condition during the relocation but remember that professional movers have the most adequate equipment and all the required skills and knowledge to pack and move your possessions in the best possible way.