Every move comes with its unique set of worries but the dominant thought in your head will most likely be, “How much will the move cost?” and “Is there anything I can do to lower the moving expenses?”
Yes, it turns out that there a number of easy steps you can take to substantially cut down your moving expenses and end up moving on the cheap:
- Choose the best mover: as far as rates, conditions and services go, no two moving companies are alike. To find the right moving company for your move, obtain at least 3 written in-house estimates and compare them closely before making up your mind.
- Book early and schedule smart: you’re advised to reserve your move as soon as you know the moving date. The earlier you book your moving services, the lower the relocation price tends to be. Also, if at all possible, schedule your move on a weekday or during the middle of the month when the moving rates are usually lower. For example, moving during the off-peak season (September – May) could save you up to 30% from the standard moving price.
- Declutter: Remember that less items to relocate means less money out of your pocket. Do a full household inventory and get rid of all the useless stuff that you’ve accumulated through the years. Out of the things that you you’ve decided to leave behind, sell or donate the belongings that are still usable and throw away the worthless junk.
- Get boxes: you can get moving boxes in good condition for free from local retailers, such as grocery stores,bookstores, liquor, electronics and office supply stores. All you have to do is go visit such a store and ask the manager if they have any boxes that they don’t need. More often than not, they’ll be happy to help you out since you’ll be saving them the time and efforts to break them down and recycle them.
- Mind what you pack: every moving company has a specialized list of items that they won’t move for safety reasons. Make sure you have requested that list in advance so that you don’t waste any precious time packing hazardous materials, perishable foods, pets, plants or valuables.
- Ask for a discount: If you’re on a tight moving budget, it won’t hurt to ask your chosen moving company if they currently offer any coupons and special discounts. Who knows – their reply may pleasantly surprise you.