How to resolve a dispute with your mover?

Have a friendly approach

If you believe that your movers must compensate you because they fail to perform the moving service as stated in your contract, write a complaint letter to the company. Be brief and accurate in your statement, do not exaggerate. Be polite and professional. Being pushy and even rude won’t help you achieve a satisfying outcome.

The best way to resolve your dispute is in person, without the involvement of other parties.
However, if the company declines your appeal, and don’t want to resolve the problem in a gentleman-like manner, you can seek the support of other party, whether it’d be a government or non-government organization.

Ask AMSA to cooperate

The American Moving and Storage is a non-profit trade organization, representing more than 4,000 movers across the States and over the world. While AMSA is not a governmental agency and cannot order your moving company to provide a refund or compensation, or force a settlement, they can help you resolve your issues through their arbitration program.

Bring your case to the Better Business Bureau

BBB is dedicated to fostering fair relationships between businesses and consumers. You can file a complaint online on their web.
After filing your complaint, BBB will make a contact with the mover. Next, your mover will be asked to reply within the next 14 days. A BBB representative will inform you about the moving company’s response (or the lack of such).

Address your complaint to the appropriate regulatory authority

Depending on what kind of move you have performed – a local (within the borders of the state) or interstate, you can contact either the state regulatory agency, or the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.

If you have moved locally, then you should file your complaint with the state regulatory agency. In most states, it’s either the public utilities commission, or the state department of transportation. You may contact the attorney general office as well.

If you have moved across the U.S., then you should file your complaint with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. The FMCSA is the federal agency overseeing household goods carriers.
In situations where a carrier is found to have held household goods hostage, the FMCSA may suspend the carrier’s operating authority and order the return of household goods.

File a lawsuit

While it can be emotionally and financially draining, you can also seek resolution in court. Generally, for local moves and claims up to $10 000 (amount varies per state), you can file your suit in a small claims court. Costs are said to be kept down and you don’t need a lawyer. For interstate moves and claims over $10 000, you can file a lawsuit in a federal court.

Call now for a cost estimate:

Available online: 2 moving consultants

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *