Sturdy boxes and plenty of wrapping material will usually prevent damage to your household items during a move. However, some of your possessions may need extra care and specific treatment to survive the relocation process. Regardless of the many tasks ahead of you and all the stress related to the upcoming move, learn how to handle your delicate and vulnerable belongings so that you manage to avoid the risk of damaging them.
Glassware and china
These highly fragile items usually top the list of broken possessions. Provide all the possible protection to preserve them intact during all the perilous moving procedures.
- Wrap the pieces individually and carefully arrange them in suitable sturdy boxes;
- Provide additional padding to prevent movement inside the boxes. Old towels or clothes can help immobilize your glasses and plates perfectly;
- Use plenty of packing tape to secure the closed boxes and eliminate the risk of accidental opening or tearing;
- Do not forget to label the containers as “FRAGILE” and “THIS WAY UP” in capital legible letters.
All other breakable items (small mirrors, pottery, figurines etc.) should be treated the same way.
Works of art
Framed canvases, statues and other valuable pieces of art are also very prone to damage. Precaution is essential, so pack them as described above, but also insure them. Unique artwork is irreplaceable – handle it with precision and alertness.
The large size and the various shapes of furniture pieces often result in substantial damage. When moving heavy furniture, you are well advised to:
- Disassemble whatever is possible. Remove all elements that can be detached and pack them separately but be sure to mark which part came from where;
- Get proper moving equipment. Moving blankets and furniture pads will help you do the trick quite easily and will protect the furniture pieces as well as the floors and the walls;
- Either hire a professional crew or invite a bunch of reliable helpers so that you have enough power to move your heavy furniture without any harm.
However, if you prefer a fresh and modern atmosphere in your new home, just sell all your used furniture instead of paying for its risky transportation. You can use the saved money for your new items.
Moving companies will not help you transport plants, so come up with a good strategy to avoid their destruction. Stop watering them a few days before the move, tie the loose branches and provide support for the high stems. If you place them in boxes or bags, make sure there is plenty of air and light and unpack the plants as soon as you reach your destination.
Electronic and sporting equipment
These items are very sensitive as well, so place them in their original packing and be careful not to toss them around while loading. Detach any cords and secure them with rubber bands. Add padding, use plenty of packing tape and arrange them adequately to prevent any shaking during the transportation.
Broken stairs, scratched floors and chipped walls cause quite a headache too, so protect your property from damage the right way. And above all – relax, plan ahead and stay focused to avoid damage to another precious entity – yourself!