When undertaking a new project, you will certainly do everything you can to make it work the best way possible. So, when moving house – one of the most challenging projects a person can ever embark on, you will surely do your best to make the relocation as easy, safe, efficient, and cost-effective as feasible. You will plan the move in meticulous detail, set up a reliable moving budget, find the best movers for you, pack your belongings with utmost care, choose an auspicious moving date, etc. – anything needed to ensure a smooth relocation and bring good luck to your new home.
And even if you don’t believe in moving superstitions and lucky days, you will still need to find a favorable day to perform your move in order to achieve these goals – the particular time of your relocation may or may not affect your moving luck, but it will certainly affect your wallet, work schedule, choice of movers, available helpers, and immediate post-relocation situation.
So, while moving on the weekend may seem like the logical choice, you cannot be sure that it is your best option without taking all the relevant factors – both moving-related and person-specific – into account. There are different pros and cons to moving at different times of the week that you need to understand well in order to make the right decision and pick the most advantageous moving day for you. Here is what you need know:
Benefits of moving over the weekend
Moving during the weekend is the common sense choice – it is convenient, easier to organize than a weekday move, and gives you the chance to start afresh at the start of a new week:
- You don’t need to take time off from work – A weekend move will take place during your “free time”, so you won’t have to worry about disrupting your work, falling behind schedule, exceeding your vacation day allotment, angering your boss, or losing money because you took an unpaid day off;
- Your kids will be home – You won’t have to take your children out of class and cause them to miss important lessons, assignments, or tests because of your relocation. Besides, older kids can offer a lot of help when they’re out of school and have the time to do so;
- Friends and relatives will be able to help you with your move – Whether you need extra hands to help you pack the last of your items, clean up your old home, or take care of your children and/or pets on moving day, it will be easier to enlist the help of friends and family on the weekend, when they have some free time to spare;
- You won’t have to worry about rush hour traffic;
- You will have more time to unpack and get settled (especially if you can complete your move on Saturday morning);
- You will have the chance to relax and wind down after the arduous relocation process and will be able to return to work on Monday well-rested and refreshed;
- You will be able to begin your new life on the first day of the new week (especially important if you believe in symbolism and fate).
Advantages of moving on a weekday
If you think about it, a weekday move could be much more beneficial than the traditional weekend relocation. Provided that taking some time off work is not a problem, it is in your best interest to schedule your move Monday through Friday:
- It will be cheaper – Movers usually charge higher rates during peak moving times – the summer months, the first and the last several days of a month, the national holidays, and the weekends, when most of the house moves in the country take place. The rest of the time, moving companies are less busy and more likely to lower their rates in order to entice more customers and secure more jobs. So, if you can schedule your move for midweek, you will get a much better deal and will save some money on your moving costs (the savings could even make up for the lost money of taking an unpaid day off);
- You will have a greater choice of movers – Moving companies (even the most reputable ones) won’t be fully booked during the week, so there will be a great choice of available movers (and appropriate moving equipment) for the day of your move. You’ll have the chance to choose among the best in the moving industry and secure experienced, trustworthy, and affordable moving help for your midweek relocation;
- Services and stores will be open – Service connections are much easier to coordinate during the week. Besides, if there is any problem with the utilities at your new location, you’ll be able to call service providers during working hours and will have the issue immediately resolved (if moving on the weekend, you may have to wait until Monday). All the local stores will also be open, so you’ll be able to get any supplies you need for your new home right away;
- You will have more privacy – A weekday move will attract less attention – most of your new neighbors will be at work when you arrive at your destination, so you’ll have more privacy when moving into your new home. If you’re moving during the weekend, there will be much more scrutiny – almost all of your neighbors will be home and quite likely to be peeking through their curtains to see who is joining the neighborhood and what exactly you’re unloading;
- It will be easier to unload and take your items inside – Neighborhoods and apartment complexes are generally more deserted during a weekday – most people will be at work, so there will be less cars on the street, giving the moving truck transporting your belongings a chance to park very close to the entrance of your new home (which saves a lot of time and effort when unloading your shipment). If you are moving into an apartment, it will also be much easier to carry your items through the halls and up the stairs as the building will be relatively empty (so there will be less traffic in the hallways and the elevators will be free). On weekends, there will be much more traffic – people will be out and about, running errands and going to activities, elevators will be busier, staircases will have more people on them, street jams will be more frequent, etc.;
- There will be less traffic during the day – As long as you manage to avoid rush hour, traffic will be nearly non-existent on a weekday. So, try to plan your move for late morning (after peak traffic times) and make sure you arrive at your new home and unload your goods before 4 p.m. when everyone gets off work and rush hour traffic begins to clog the roads. If you are moving locally, this can be easily achieved. If you are moving long distance though, it may be difficult to avoid traveling during rush hour;
- Your kids will be at school, so you will be able to focus on the urgent moving tasks at hand, without worrying about the safety and well-being of your children – not having to look after your young ones on moving day, entertain them, or reprimand them for getting in the movers’ way will make your relocation easier and less stressful. However, this will only work if you are moving locally and can put your kids on the bus or drop them off at school in the morning before the movers arrive and have enough time to complete your move before you have to pick them up.
Depending on the particular day of your move, a weekday relocation may offer some other benefits as well. Read on to find out the pros of moving during different days of the week.
Which is the best day of the week to move house?
Moving statistics show that most house moves take place on Friday (followed by Saturday and Monday), while Tuesdays and Sundays are the least popular days for a move. Yet, each day of the week comes with its own specific advantages:
- Friday – The last of the weekdays is considered the best day to move for a reason – moving on a Friday means that you will need to take only one day off work and will have the entire weekend to unpack your belongings and settle into your new home. Of course, Friday is also the busiest day of the week for moving companies, so it will be more difficult (and more expensive) to schedule a Friday move;
- Saturday – Moving on a Saturday will allow you to perform your relocation without taking time off work and will give you plenty of time to unpack and get settled;
- Monday – Moving on a Monday gives you additional time to pack up and vacate your old home (plus the bonus of a good rest before the hectic moving day). You will also have the entire working week to take care of urgent post-relocation tasks in your new area;
- Thursday – Choosing a Thursday for your house move will allow you enough time not only to unpack and set up your new home, but also to rest and explore your new surroundings before heading back to work on Monday. Besides, Thursday is believed to be the luckiest day of the week for moving into a new home;
- Wednesday – A Wednesday move gives you three additional days to settle in and relax after the exhausting relocation process. It will also help you save on your moving costs and find the best movers for you;
- Sunday – When moving on a Sunday, you will have one extra day to finish packing and have some rest before the laborious moving day;
- Tuesday – The best deals (and the greatest choice of available moving services) are for Tuesday moves.
As you can see, different days of the week offer different benefits and different challenges to home movers – it’s up to you to decide on the best day for your relocation, depending on your specific circumstances and personal preferences. Whatever day of the week you choose to move though, make sure you research your moving options well, find trustworthy moving partners to work with, and book their professional services well in advance.